public inbox for pve-devel@lists.proxmox.com
* [pve-devel] Proxmox 7.0 Beta - Ceph "a password is required" error messages?
       [not found] <CAMnnoULK0y8YvsWZCJpwmGgQKtq=3rTG_ttEtWbDYF3+12hFzA.ref@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2021-06-25  1:31 ` Victor Hooi
From: Victor Hooi @ 2021-06-25  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: PVE development discussion

Hi,

I've setup a new Ceph cluster with the Proxmox 7.0 beta

I'm getting notification emails like this:

ceph : a password is required ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=nvme intel
> smart-log-add --json /dev/nvme0n1

Do you know if this is expected behaviour, or what it means? Is this some
kind of new logging in Ceph 16 or Proxmox 7?

Thanks,
Victor

* Re: [pve-devel] Proxmox 7.0 Beta - Ceph "a password is required" error messages?
@ 2021-06-25 11:36   ` Dominik Csapak
From: Dominik Csapak @ 2021-06-25 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pve-devel

On 6/25/21 03:31, Victor Hooi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've setup a new Ceph cluster with the Proxmox 7.0 beta
>
> I'm getting notification emails like this:
>
> ceph : a password is required ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=nvme intel
>> smart-log-add --json /dev/nvme0n1
>

> Do you know if this is expected behaviour, or what it means? Is this some
> kind of new logging in Ceph 16 or Proxmox 7?

ceph can check the hardware status with smartctl/nvme

to do this, ceph ships a sudoers.d snippet that allows those two commands

i just checked here, it works as intended

does the file '/etc/sudoers.d/ceph-osd-smartcl' exist in your installation?

did you do any further sudo configuration or changed the 'ceph' user
somehow?

kind regards

* Re: [pve-devel] Proxmox 7.0 Beta - Ceph "a password is required" error messages?
@ 2021-06-25 11:39     ` Dominik Csapak
From: Dominik Csapak @ 2021-06-25 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pve-devel

> does the file '/etc/sudoers.d/ceph-osd-smartcl' exist in your installation?

sorry, typo, should be '/etc/sudoers.d/ceph-osd-smartctl'

* Re: [pve-devel] Proxmox 7.0 Beta - Ceph "a password is required" error messages?
@ 2021-06-28  7:54   ` Fabian Ebner
From: Fabian Ebner @ 2021-06-28  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pve-devel

Am 25.06.21 um 03:31 schrieb Victor Hooi:
> Hi,
>
> I've setup a new Ceph cluster with the Proxmox 7.0 beta
>
> I'm getting notification emails like this:
>
> ceph : a password is required ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=nvme intel
>> smart-log-add --json /dev/nvme0n1
>

> Do you know if this is expected behaviour, or what it means? Is this some
> kind of new logging in Ceph 16 or Proxmox 7?
>
> Thanks,
> Victor

Hi,

in addition to what Dominik said: Is nvme-cli installed?

Best Regards,
Fabi

* Re: [pve-devel] Proxmox 7.0 Beta - Ceph "a password is required" error messages?
@ 2021-06-28 23:19     ` Victor Hooi
From: Victor Hooi @ 2021-06-28 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Proxmox VE development discussion

Hi,

Yes, I can confirm that file exists on my system:

root@angusmtv-vm01:/etc/sudoers.d# cat ceph-osd-smartctl
> ## allow ceph-osd (which runs as user ceph) to collect device health
> metrics

ceph ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/smartctl -x --json=o /dev/*
> ceph ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/nvme * smart-log-add --json /dev/*

This was a fresh install of Proxmox 7.0 beta, with Ceph, I haven't really
made any changes outside of setting the Ceph keyring, so that ceph-volume
batch would work:

ceph auth get client.bootstrap-osd >
> /var/lib/ceph/bootstrap-osd/ceph.keyring

The nvme-cli package was *not* installed:

# dpkg -s nvme-cli
> dpkg-query: package 'nvme-cli' is not installed and no information is
> available
> Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files.

I've just installed it - should that make those errors go away?

Should we install nvme-cli by default then?

Out of curiosity - where do you see the hardware status via Ceph

Thanks
Victor

@ 2021-06-30  7:57       ` Fabian Ebner
From: Fabian Ebner @ 2021-06-30  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pve-devel

Am 29.06.21 um 01:19 schrieb Victor Hooi:
> Hi,
>
> Yes, I can confirm that file exists on my system:
>
> root@angusmtv-vm01:/etc/sudoers.d# cat ceph-osd-smartctl
>> ## allow ceph-osd (which runs as user ceph) to collect device health
>> metrics
>

> ceph ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/smartctl -x --json=o /dev/*
>> ceph ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/nvme * smart-log-add --json /dev/*
>

> This was a fresh install of Proxmox 7.0 beta, with Ceph, I haven't really
> made any changes outside of setting the Ceph keyring, so that ceph-volume
> batch would work:
>
> ceph auth get client.bootstrap-osd >
>> /var/lib/ceph/bootstrap-osd/ceph.keyring
>

> The nvme-cli package was *not* installed:
>
> # dpkg -s nvme-cli
>> dpkg-query: package 'nvme-cli' is not installed and no information is
>> available
>> Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files.
>

> I've just installed it - should that make those errors go away?

Yes. I now debugged this a bit further: Ceph uses 'sudo nvme ...' when
executing the command, but if 'nvme' can't be found in the PATH, the
sudoers rule does not seem to apply, because it is for '/usr/sbin/nvme'.

Seems like something with sudo changed too. Given the same sudoers file
and not having 'nvme-cli' installed, for an unprivileged user using
     sudo nvme qemu smart-log-add --json /dev/sdc
and Ctrl+D-ing the password prompt results in a notification in PVE 7.0,
but not in PVE 6.4.

> Should we install nvme-cli by default then?

It is in Recommends for the ceph package, but when installing via the
API we use 'apt --no-install-recommends' for some reason. Maybe somebody
else knows why?

> Out of curiosity - where do you see the hardware status via Ceph

I think you can use
     ceph device ls
to get the list of devices and then
     ceph device get-health-metrics <DEVICE>

> Thanks
> Victor
>
> On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 5:54 PM Fabian Ebner <f.ebner@proxmox.com> wrote:
>
>> Am 25.06.21 um 03:31 schrieb Victor Hooi:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've setup a new Ceph cluster with the Proxmox 7.0 beta
>>>
>>> I'm getting notification emails like this:
>>>
>>> ceph : a password is required ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=nvme intel
>>>

>>> Do you know if this is expected behaviour, or what it means? Is this some
>>> kind of new logging in Ceph 16 or Proxmox 7?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Victor