public inbox for pve-devel@lists.proxmox.com
* [pve-devel] ceph create pool with min_size=1 not possible anymore with last gui wizard
@ 2021-06-04  2:47 aderumier
From: aderumier @ 2021-06-04  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pve-devel

Hi,

I was doing a training week with students,

and I see that the new ceph wizard to create pool don't allow to set
min_size=1 anymore.

It's currently displaying a warning "min_size <= size/2 can lead to
data loss, incomplete PGs or unfound objects",

that's ok  ,  but It's also blocking the validation button.

Some users with small cluster/budgets want to do only size=2,

so with min_size=2, the cluster will go read only in case of any osd
down.

It could be great to allow at least min_size=1 when size=2 is used.

also,
Other setup like size=4, min_size=2, also display the warning, but
allow to validate the form.

I'm not sure this warning is correct in this case , as since octopus,
min_size
is auto compute when pool is created, and a simple

ceph osd pool create mypool 128 --size=4  , create a pool with
min_size=2 by default.

* Re: [pve-devel] ceph create pool with min_size=1 not possible anymore with last gui wizard
@ 2021-06-04 13:23 ` Dominik Csapak
From: Dominik Csapak @ 2021-06-04 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Proxmox VE development discussion, aderumier, pve-devel

On 6/4/21 04:47, aderumier@odiso.com wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> I was doing a training week with students,
>
> and I see that the new ceph wizard to create pool don't allow to set
> min_size=1 anymore.
>
> It's currently displaying a warning "min_size <= size/2 can lead to
> data loss, incomplete PGs or unfound objects",
>
> that's ok  ,  but It's also blocking the validation button.

yes, in our experience, setting min_size to 1 is always a bad idea
and most likely not what you want

what is possible though is to either create the pool on the cli,
or changing the min_size after creation to 1 (this is not blocked)

> Some users with small cluster/budgets want to do only size=2,
>
> so with min_size=2, the cluster will go read only in case of any osd
> down.
>
> It could be great to allow at least min_size=1 when size=2 is used.

"great" but very dangerous

> also,
> Other setup like size=4, min_size=2, also display the warning, but
> allow to validate the form.
>
> I'm not sure this warning is correct in this case , as since octopus,
> min_size
> is auto compute when pool is created, and a simple
>
> ceph osd pool create mypool 128 --size=4  , create a pool with
> min_size=2 by default.

the rationale behind this decision was (i think) because
if you have exactly 50% min_size of size (e.g. 4/2)
you can get inconsistent pgs, with no quorum as to
which pg is correct?
(though don't quote me on that)

so i think its always better to have > 50% min_size of size

* Re: [pve-devel] ceph create pool with min_size=1 not possible anymore with last gui wizard
@ 2021-06-07  6:57   ` aderumier
From: aderumier @ 2021-06-07  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dominik Csapak, Proxmox VE development discussion, pve-devel

Le vendredi 04 juin 2021 à 15:23 +0200, Dominik Csapak a écrit :
> On 6/4/21 04:47, aderumier@odiso.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> Hi,
>
> > I was doing a training week with students,
> >
> > and I see that the new ceph wizard to create pool don't allow to
> > set
> > min_size=1 anymore.
> >
> > It's currently displaying a warning "min_size <= size/2 can lead to
> > data loss, incomplete PGs or unfound objects",
> >
> > that's ok  ,  but It's also blocking the validation button.
> >

> yes, in our experience, setting min_size to 1 is always a bad idea
> and most likely not what you want
>
> what is possible though is to either create the pool on the cli,
> or changing the min_size after creation to 1 (this is not blocked)

yes, Sute. I could be great to be able to change size/min_size from the
gui too.

> > Some users with small cluster/budgets want to do only size=2,
> >
> > so with min_size=2, the cluster will go read only in case of any
> > osd
> > down.
> >
> > It could be great to allow at least min_size=1 when size=2 is used.
> >

> "great" but very dangerous
>

> > also,
> > Other setup like size=4, min_size=2, also display the warning, but
> > allow to validate the form.
> >
> > I'm not sure this warning is correct in this case , as since
> > octopus,
> > min_size
> > is auto compute when pool is created, and a simple
> >
> > ceph osd pool create mypool 128 --size=4  , create a pool with
> > min_size=2 by default.
> >

> the rationale behind this decision was (i think) because
> if you have exactly 50% min_size of size (e.g. 4/2)
> you can get inconsistent pgs, with no quorum as to
> which pg is correct?
> (though don't quote me on that)
>
> so i think its always better to have > 50% min_size of size

Well, afaik, they are no "quorum" on pg consistency for repair
currently.
if a pg is corrupt, ceph is simply copy data from a pg copy where
checksum is ok.
and if no checksum is available, it take a random copy. (maybe it need
a manual pg_repair in this case).
But They are not something like "theses 2 copies have the more majority
(quorum) of checksum.

(Maybe I'm wrong, but 1 or 2 year ago, Sage have confirmed this on the
ceph mailing)

* Re: [pve-devel] ceph create pool with min_size=1 not possible anymore with last gui wizard
@ 2021-06-07  7:14     ` Dominik Csapak
From: Dominik Csapak @ 2021-06-07  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aderumier, Proxmox VE development discussion, pve-devel

On 6/7/21 08:57, aderumier@odiso.com wrote:
> Le vendredi 04 juin 2021 à 15:23 +0200, Dominik Csapak a écrit :
>> On 6/4/21 04:47, aderumier@odiso.com <mailto:aderumier@odiso.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>>> I was doing a training week with students,
>>>
>>> and I see that the new ceph wizard to create pool don't allow to set
>>> min_size=1 anymore.
>>>
>>> It's currently displaying a warning "min_size <= size/2 can lead to
>>> data loss, incomplete PGs or unfound objects",
>>>
>>> that's ok  ,  but It's also blocking the validation button.
>>>

>> yes, in our experience, setting min_size to 1 is always a bad idea
>> and most likely not what you want
>>
>> what is possible though is to either create the pool on the cli,
>> or changing the min_size after creation to 1 (this is not blocked)
>>
> yes, Sute. I could be great to be able to change size/min_size from the
> gui too.

this should already possible in current versions, but as i said
not for pool creation, only afterwards

>>> Some users with small cluster/budgets want to do only size=2,
>>>
>>> so with min_size=2, the cluster will go read only in case of any osd
>>> down.
>>>
>>> It could be great to allow at least min_size=1 when size=2 is used.
>>>

>> "great" but very dangerous
>>

>>> also,
>>> Other setup like size=4, min_size=2, also display the warning, but
>>> allow to validate the form.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure this warning is correct in this case , as since octopus,
>>> min_size
>>> is auto compute when pool is created, and a simple
>>>
>>> ceph osd pool create mypool 128 --size=4  , create a pool with
>>> min_size=2 by default.
>>>

>> the rationale behind this decision was (i think) because
>> if you have exactly 50% min_size of size (e.g. 4/2)
>> you can get inconsistent pgs, with no quorum as to
>> which pg is correct?
>> (though don't quote me on that)
>>
>> so i think its always better to have > 50% min_size of size
>>
> Well, afaik, they are no "quorum" on pg consistency for repair currently.
> if a pg is corrupt, ceph is simply copy data from a pg copy where
> checksum is ok.
> and if no checksum is available, it take a random copy. (maybe it need a
> manual pg_repair in this case).
> But They are not something like "theses 2 copies have the more majority
> (quorum) of checksum.
>
> (Maybe I'm wrong, but 1 or 2 year ago, Sage have confirmed this on the
> ceph mailing)

i thought more about 'inconsistent' pgs, maybe i am wrong
but how does ceph cope with multiple 'valid' objects (all checksums are
ok) but different content? (e.g, when during a write, theres a
power cut?) i assumed that there a 'majority' must be
established?

although i did not find any document to support that, and in [0]
it is only mentioned it will take the authoritative copy

i'll discuss this with my colleages, and check more sources to maybe
relax the '> 50%' rule a little for the warning

thanks :)

0: https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/rados/operations/pg-repair

* Re: [pve-devel] ceph create pool with min_size=1 not possible anymore with last gui wizard
@ 2021-06-07  9:42       ` Maximilian Hill
From: Maximilian Hill @ 2021-06-07  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Proxmox VE development discussion; +Cc: aderumier, pve-devel