public inbox for pve-devel@lists.proxmox.com
* [pve-devel] new installer: preseed support ?
       [not found] <e619bd3831e923ff3c834d84e7664cd2f66e461e.camel@groupe-cyllene.com>
@ 2023-06-21 15:56 ` DERUMIER, Alexandre
From: DERUMIER, Alexandre @ 2023-06-21 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pve-devel

Hi,

I just see all the patches for the new installer (don't have tested it
yet).

Any plan to add support for preseed file like debian for automatic
install ?

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Preseed

?

Alexandre

* Re: [pve-devel] new installer: preseed support ?
@ 2023-06-21 16:21   ` Thomas Lamprecht
From: Thomas Lamprecht @ 2023-06-21 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Proxmox VE development discussion, DERUMIER, Alexandre

Hi,

Am 21/06/2023 um 17:56 schrieb DERUMIER, Alexandre:
> I just see all the patches for the new installer (don't have tested it
> yet).
>
> Any plan to add support for preseed file like debian for automatic
> install ?

Yes, for the mid/long term we'd definitively like to provide some mechanism
for this, and tbh. with the rework of the installer and how it handles the
config to a single point of "truth", and how the new low-level installer
(used for the Text-UI mode) works it will be possible to add quite a few
ways (from simple json config lives on a separte partition of the installer
image to some web-based varians with API and a password defined on the image,
...); just see the "start-session" command implementation [0] for what's
required between actual installer and UI, it's really not that much anymore:

[0]: https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-installer.git;a=blob;f=proxmox-low-level-installer;h=814961e5d5a4e73457aaa5df85e7b87e38708af7;hb=99a7fcf1fe110d67f5d0b6a010ae34cce17579a4#l88

* Re: [pve-devel] new installer: preseed support ?
@ 2023-06-22 11:38     ` DERUMIER, Alexandre
From: DERUMIER, Alexandre @ 2023-06-22 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pve-devel, t.lamprecht

Le mercredi 21 juin 2023 à 18:21 +0200, Thomas Lamprecht a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Am 21/06/2023 um 17:56 schrieb DERUMIER, Alexandre:
> > I just see all the patches for the new installer (don't have tested
> > it
> > yet).
> >
> > Any plan to add support for preseed file like debian for automatic
> > install ?
> >

> Yes, for the mid/long term we'd definitively like to provide some
> mechanism
> for this, and tbh. with the rework of the installer and how it
> handles the
> config to a single point of "truth", and how the new low-level
> installer
> (used for the Text-UI mode) works it will be possible to add quite a
> few
> ways (from simple json config lives on a separte partition of the
> installer
> image to some web-based varians with API and a password defined on
> the image,
> ...); just see the "start-session" command implementation [0] for
> what's
> required between actual installer and UI, it's really not that much
> anymore:

Oh great ! Thanks !

I'll try to have a look at it next week and do some tests.