public inbox for pve-devel@lists.proxmox.com
* [pve-devel] Ceph Pacific testing?
       [not found] <CAMnnoUL0iRSk_24b9jeTqFmEvJi+P6e+WzQv8ZwdKu6oMXXVgw.ref@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2021-04-14 20:05 ` Victor Hooi
From: Victor Hooi @ 2021-04-14 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: PVE development discussion

Hi,

Ceph Pacific was recently announced:

https://ceph.io/releases/v16-2-0-pacific-released/

Do you know if anybody has started testing this for Proxmox yet?

Or are there alpha/beta packages we could run in a test lab?

Thanks,
Victor

* Re: [pve-devel] Ceph Pacific testing?
@ 2021-04-15 10:44   ` Thomas Lamprecht
From: Thomas Lamprecht @ 2021-04-15 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Proxmox VE development discussion, Victor Hooi,
	PVE development discussion

Hi,

On 14.04.21 22:05, Victor Hooi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ceph Pacific was recently announced:
>
> https://ceph.io/releases/v16-2-0-pacific-released/
>
> Do you know if anybody has started testing this for Proxmox yet?
>
> Or are there alpha/beta packages we could run in a test lab?

FYI: We plan to build and release this for upcoming PVE 7.0 this year, based on
Debian bullseye.

cheers,
Thomas

* Re: [pve-devel] Ceph Pacific testing?
@ 2021-04-17 22:48     ` Victor Hooi
From: Victor Hooi @ 2021-04-17 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Lamprecht
  Cc: Proxmox VE development discussion, PVE development discussion

Hi,

Awesome! Really excited by this!

Do we have any indication of when this year the PVE 7.0 testing will begin?

Also - will it still be based on a Ubuntu kernel? Or any chance we can get
a newer kernel from Debian? =)

Thanks,
Victor

@ 2021-04-18  7:29       ` Thomas Lamprecht
From: Thomas Lamprecht @ 2021-04-18  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Victor Hooi; +Cc: Proxmox VE development discussion, PVE development discussion

Hi,

On 18.04.21 00:48, Victor Hooi wrote:
> Awesome! Really excited by this!
>
> Do we have any indication of when this year the PVE 7.0 testing will begin?

No, nothing definitive yet, if I had to guess, I'd say that the test repo
would get available in Q2 rather than Q3, though.

> Also - will it still be based on a Ubuntu kernel? Or any chance we can get
> a newer kernel from Debian? =)

Debian 11 Bullseye will ship the 5.10 kernel, Ubuntu 21.04 will ship the 5.11 kernel.

We will use the newer one from Ubuntu, and actually, that one is already
available for testing in Proxmox VE 6 since almost a month[0].

Note, while we did not see any issue anywhere, we still recommend to stay on 5.4, which
will stay the default kernel for the remaining PVE 6.x lifetime.

With above note in mind, you can install it by executing:

apt update
apt install pve-kernel-5.11

cheers,
Thomas

[0]: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/kernel-5-11.86225/

@ 2021-06-13 23:23         ` Victor Hooi
From: Victor Hooi @ 2021-06-13 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Lamprecht
  Cc: Proxmox VE development discussion, PVE development discussion

Hi Thomas!

Do you know if there's been any update on Ceph Pacific in Proxmox? Are we
anywhere near having testing packages to try out? =)

Thanks,
Victor