public inbox for pve-devel@lists.proxmox.com
From: Martin Maurer <martin@proxmox.com>
To: pve-devel@lists.proxmox.com, PVE User List <pve-user@pve.proxmox.com>
Subject: [pve-devel] Proxmox VE 7.0 (beta) released!
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 15:16:26 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi all,

We are pleased to announce the first beta release of Proxmox Virtual Environment 7.0! The 7.x family is based on the great Debian 11 "Bullseye" and comes with a 5.11 kernel, QEMU 6.0, LXC 4.0, OpenZFS 2.0.4.

Note: The current release of Proxmox Virtual Environment 7.0 is a beta version. If you test or upgrade, make sure to first create backups of your data. We recommend https://www.proxmox.com/en/proxmox-backup-server to do so.

Here are some of the highlights of the Proxmox VE 7.0 beta version:

- Ceph Server: Ceph Pacific 16.2 is the new default. Ceph Octopus 15.2 comes with continued support.
- BTRFS: modern copy on write file system natively supported by the Linux kernel, implementing features such as snapshots, built-in RAID, and self healing via checksums for data and metadata.
- ifupdown2 is the default for new installations using the Proxmox VE official ISO.
- QEMU 6.0 has support for io_uring as asynchronous I/O engine for virtual drives - this is now the default for newly started or migrated guests.
- Countless GUI improvements
- and much more...

Release notes
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap

Download[
http://download.proxmox.com/iso

Community Forum
https://forum.proxmox.com

Bugtracker
https://bugzilla.proxmox.com

Source code
https://git.proxmox.com

Q: Can I upgrade Proxmox VE 6.4 to 7.0 beta with apt?
A: Yes, please follow the upgrade instructions on https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_6.x_to_7.0

Q: Can I upgrade a 7.0 beta installation to the stable 7.0 release via apt?
A: Yes, upgrading from beta to stable installation will be possible via apt.

Q: Which apt repository can I use for Proxmox VE 7.0 beta?
A: deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve bullseye pvetest

Q: Can I install Proxmox VE 7.0 beta on top of Debian 11 "Bullseye"?
A: Yes.

Q: Can I upgrade my Proxmox VE 6.4 cluster with Ceph Octopus to 7.0 beta?
A: This is a two step process. First, you have to upgrade Proxmox VE from 6.4 to 7.0, and afterwards upgrade Ceph from Octopus to Pacific. There are a lot of improvements and changes, so please follow exactly the upgrade documentation:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_6.x_to_7.0
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Ceph_Octopus_to_Pacific

Q: When do you expect the stable Proxmox VE 7.0 release?
A: The final Proxmox VE 7.0 will be available as soon as all Proxmox VE 7.0 release critical bugs are fixed.

Q: Where can I get more information about feature updates?

You are welcome to test your hardware and your upgrade path and we are looking forward to your feedback, bug reports, or ideas. Thank you for getting involved!

--
Best Regards,

Martin Maurer

martin@proxmox.com
https://www.proxmox.com

Proxmox Server Solutions GmbH
Bräuhausgasse 37, 1050 Vienna, Austria
Commercial register no.: FN 258879 f
Registration office: Handelsgericht Wien