public inbox for pve-devel@lists.proxmox.com
From: Gilles Pietri <contact+dev@gilouweb.com>
To: pve-devel@lists.proxmox.com
Subject: [pve-devel] PVE development environment
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2021 16:17:23 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi,

Sorry if this doesn't belong here, point me in the right direction if
there is one ;)

I read extensively what's there, and that is very helpful:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Documentation
I also read the thread here: I read also
https://lists.proxmox.com/pipermail/pve-devel/2018-August/033448.html
but that deals more with the repos than the actual dev env.

Now I wonder, this all assumes you work directly on the test setup,
patch and code from there, and I'm not a big fan of this, for many reasons…

I usually do write code on my own station, that can access various test
setups that I can spawn, be it in virtualbox, test installs of proxmox
or nested ones for actual qemu tests. My question is, how do you guys do
it, if there are any consensual setups?

I wondered about different possibilities, tested some:
- coding, versionning on a test environment: I don't like that: I need
to maintain a test environment that includes the coding tools, and it
will break, again and again, and not be in a reliable state, should I
need to debug something.
- compiling locally, having the debian and proxmox tooling, but that is
not a happy solution, as I don't run Debian 10 or proxmox on my machine
- using a set of hooks in git, mirroring stuff to a test instance, and
compiling the packages there, rebooting as needed, that is easy enough,
but I need to factor the dev environment
- using a CI system to handle that on my branches/remotes, namely
gitlab-ci with a runner on a pvetest instance, assetting the .debs,
deploying them… that feels a bit overkill, but… well, I might like that
more, but maybe we could have a lighter way there.

So, if I'm dumb and there's an obvious choice, just tell me ;)
If not, I'd love to hear about how you guys do it, and if we could make
suggestions for that!

Cheers,

Gilou