public inbox for pbs-devel@lists.proxmox.com
* Re: [pbs-devel] PBSCloudBackup
@ 2023-12-04 15:59 Rodney Wild
From: Rodney Wild @ 2023-12-04 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Proxmox Backup Server development discussion

I just wanted to post the cloud backup project here again for it to be
looked at by the pbs team and make any suggestions to improve the
project and make it more likely it will be accepted into the base code.

    Project Name: Proxmox Backup Cloud Extension

    Project Lead: Rodney Wild

    Company: A-Z Computer Solutions

    Purpose

    We purpose to increase the amount of stored data on the Sia network.
    At the moment there are a low number of big renters uploading data
    to the sia network. We purpose to develop a cloud backup module for
    proxmox backup that would take proxmox backup data and hold a
    replication of it at an external service provider. This can either
    be done directly via a local sia host or via a satellite when that
    service is complete. Proxmox backup server is a great candidate for
    using sia because of its large data sets. Even a basic proxmox
    backup can be TBs in size and if freely adopted could put many
    petabytes of data onto the sia network. Backups out in the sia
    network add an extra level of redundancy to local backups should a
    disaster recovery scenario happen and allow businesses that use the
    PBC extension to have a greater level of recoverability from
    disaster situations. For example, if the business or data center
    where their primary backup data is housed burns down to the ground
    or gets flooded. When it comes to backups, we think its good idea to
    have the original running host, an on site backup and fairly recent
    off site backup just in case something happens for business
    continuity purposes.

    Open-Source Commitment

    The project source code shall be maintained in a public repository
    located on github.

    Project Timeline

    The project shall have the following milestones:

    1 Month – 1, 1.1 & 1.2, 1.3: Setup a Proxmox VE Enviournment, Build
    and deploy a test instance of PBS, Study the PBS contribution guidelines

    2 Month – 1.4, 1.5: Study the PBS tape feature, Start Starting Build
    the cloud backup feature

    3 Month – 1.5: Continue Building the cloud backup feature

    4 Month – 1.5 Finish Building the cloud backup feature

    5, 6, 7 Month – 1.6: Building the S3 plugin

    8 Month – Finish up development of the plugin and start Beta Testing
    of Cloud Backup System and website development

    9 Month – Release

    Please note that the above milestones are based on times provided by
    the developer and adjusted by the project manager.

    Potential Risks:

    Non-adherence to Proxmox Backup Server’s (PBS) development
    guidelines could lead to non-acceptance of the cloud backup feature
    in PBS’s code repository, making the project maintenance intensive.

    The other rise would be the loss of a developer once the project is
    started and not being able to find another developer.

    I am not a developer.

    Impact of Identified Risks:

    The first risk could substantially increase the project’s dependency
    on maintenance.

    Mitigation Strategies:

    The code could be cloned and modified in a new repository and needs
    to be systematically updated to align with the ongoing changes in
    the original PBS code.

    Having backup developers or redundant resources is essential to
    maintain project continuity in case of any resource unavailability.
    As I started the hiring process with an agency, I think that the
    risk is low. I also already have another developer That was
    identified via our testing evaluation process that was very close to
    the current developer that I can call on should this be required.

    Monitoring and Managing Risks:

    Continuous monitoring and managing of the identified risks are crucial.

    Risk mitigation strategies should be revised as more information
    becomes available and project conditions evolve.

    Conclusion

    The project lead is kindly asking the Foundation to review this
    proposal. He is also encouraging the community to ask as many
    questions as needed to improve the clarity of the project scope and
    the expected outcome. Our goal is to increase the amount of data on
    the sia network and increase the level of redundancy of backups in
    the proxmox virtual environment and provide for disaster recovery.

    Development Information
    Will all of your project’s code be open-source?
    [Projects can use closed-source components, but can’t develop
    closed-source code. If any of your project’s code is closed-source,
    please describe what code and why.]

    There is a possibility that there will be extra functionality
    developed via additional plugins for other cloud platforms. but
    these will be closed source and a premium feature. Sia will be the
    only open-source plugin developed for the cloud back project.

    Leave a link where the code will be accessible for review.

    Do you agree to submit monthly progress reports?
    [Progress reports must be submitted monthly here in the forum.]
    I agree to share monthly updates in the forum and on discord.

    There is an attached document with quite a bit more detail than his
    provided here. Although the research project looked at the
    possibility of an S5 and Satellite it has been determined that S5 is
    not advanced enough.

    Budget details removed as they are not important here, but can be
    viewed at the following link:
    https://forum.sia.tech/t/proxmox-backup-server-cloud-extension/397/9

    Link to updated detailed supporting docs:
    https://cloud.myinkbooks.com/index.php/s/5wWQLGFyQgbJExx

    Note: this project is supported via a grant by the Sia Foundaation.

--

Rodney Wild
President & CEO