public inbox for pbs-devel@lists.proxmox.com
* [pbs-devel] Templates starting on backup
@ 2020-10-05 12:15 Graeme Seaton
From: Graeme Seaton @ 2020-10-05 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pbs-devel

Hi,

I store my templates on a common host and move to deployment host as
necessary.  Unfortunately, when backup up the process tries to start the
template and then fails if there is a difference in the hardware
configuration between the current host and it's definition.

Given that templates (if I understand correctly) are not run directly
shouldn't the backup just work with the images since there won't be any
dirty blocks to be detected?

Regards,

Graeme

* Re: [pbs-devel] Templates starting on backup
@ 2020-10-05 13:42 ` Thomas Lamprecht
From: Thomas Lamprecht @ 2020-10-05 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Proxmox Backup Server development discussion, Graeme Seaton

Hi,

On 05.10.20 14:15, Graeme Seaton wrote:
> I store my templates on a common host and move to deployment host as necessary.  Unfortunately, when backup up the process tries to start the template and then fails if there is a difference in the hardware configuration between the current host and it's definition.
>
> Given that templates (if I understand correctly) are not run directly shouldn't the backup just work with the images since there won't be any dirty blocks to be detected?

Yes, they have no dirty bitmap by definition, but we start them up so that
we can re-use our QEMU backup integration for PBS. The VM is not started for
real, just a QEMU process is running - this shows up in the webinterface
(because it's a cheap check) - but the backup lock symbol should avoid
confusions.

Re-using the QEMU built in block drivers to access the templates disks allows
to avoid duplicating quite some logic and functionality, and solves a few
edge cases "for free". That's the main reason we use it here.

What HW differences are talking here?

cheers,
Thomas

* Re: [pbs-devel] Templates starting on backup
@ 2020-10-05 14:21   ` Graeme Seaton
From: Graeme Seaton @ 2020-10-05 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Lamprecht, Proxmox Backup Server development discussion

Hi,

In one case CPU type/Numa/hugepages.  In others vmbr's.

Regards,

Graeme

@ 2020-10-05 14:40     ` Thomas Lamprecht
From: Thomas Lamprecht @ 2020-10-05 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Proxmox Backup Server development discussion, Graeme Seaton

On 05.10.20 16:21, Graeme Seaton wrote:
> On 05/10/2020 14:42, Thomas Lamprecht wrote:
>> What HW differences are talking here?
>
> In one case CPU type/Numa/hugepages.  In others vmbr's.

Why not just leave it at the "OK" hosts, if you're using HA you could
add it to a group restricted to those hosts it is compatible with.

We may reduce the configuration of a template started fort backup a bit,
though.

cheers,
Thomas

* Re: [pbs-devel] Templates starting on backup
@ 2020-10-05 16:49       ` Graeme Seaton
From: Graeme Seaton @ 2020-10-05 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Lamprecht, Proxmox Backup Server development discussion

The reason I moved them was that my sense of taste didn't like having
the templates intermingled with the running hosts in the server view ;-)

Having all of the templates stored on a single host also provides a very
simplistic way of making sure the running VM's are backed up as quickly
as possible without being delayed by templates on the same server.
Being on a single host means that the templates are backed up on a
single separate 'thread'.  I could probably achieve something similar by
placing all of the templates in a very high id range.

No biggie - just thought I'd feed back about the failures.

Regards,

Graeme