public inbox for pbs-devel@lists.proxmox.com
From: "Mark Schouten" <mark@tuxis.nl>
To: "Thomas Lamprecht" <t.lamprecht@proxmox.com>,
	"Proxmox Backup Server development discussion"
	<pbs-devel@lists.proxmox.com>
Subject: Re: [pbs-devel] Too many open files
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2022 08:31:44 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi,

>How many FDs are open for the proxy?
>
>ls -1 /proc/$(pidof proxmox-backup-proxy)/fd | wc -l

This was not that much at this moment, but aroung 0.00 hours, the
counter increases, I suspect. ;)

>No, but it doesn't increase it's soft limit to the hard limit, something we
>want to do in the future.
>
>As workaround try increasing soft (and possible hard) limit for root and backup
>user, you can do that by editing `/etc/security/limits.conf`, adding lines like:
>
>backup soft nofile 524288
>root soft nofile 524288
>
>(should set soft to current hard limit)

This did not work for me.

>Or alternatively use a systemd service override to make it really process specific:
>
># systemctl edit proxmox-backup-proxy.service
>
>There add a "[Service]" Section, if not already existing and a "LimitNOFILE=X" below,
>e.g.:
>
>[Service]
>LimitNOFILE=524288
>
>Save and close the editor and restart the service, then do the same for the
>proxmox-backup.service
>
>As said, we plan to upper that soft limit too in the future.

This worked like a charm. Let’s see if it helps tonight during peak
hours.

Thanks!

—
Mark Schouten, CTO