public inbox for pbs-devel@lists.proxmox.com
* [pbs-devel] Create a ZFS filesystem upon datastore creation
@ 2022-06-27  8:20 Mark Schouten
From: Mark Schouten @ 2022-06-27  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pbs-devel

Hi,

We run a few PBS servers with a lot of datastores, ZFS based. While PBS
can create zpools, it currently cannot create a ZFS datastore when you
create a datastore via the API.

Currently we have a script to create users and datastores and with the
corresponding ZFS filesystem:
1: Create PBS user
2: Create ZFS filesystem for this user (we set the quotum here)
3: Create a ZFS filesystem for this datastore, inside the users
filesystem
4: Create the datastore

As we’re going to implement PBS-as-a-service into our portal, I would
like to know if it’s feasable to make the API create a filesystem when
you create a datastore, or is the general feeling that this should not
be inside PBS’ scope?

Regards,

—
Mark Schouten, CTO
Tuxis B.V.
mark@tuxis.nl

* Re: [pbs-devel] Create a ZFS filesystem upon datastore creation
@ 2022-06-27 10:03 ` Dominik Csapak
From: Dominik Csapak @ 2022-06-27 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Schouten, Proxmox Backup Server development discussion

On 6/27/22 10:20, Mark Schouten wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We run a few PBS servers with a lot of datastores, ZFS based. While PBS can create zpools, it
> currently cannot create a ZFS datastore when you create a datastore via the API.
>
> Currently we have a script to create users and datastores and with the corresponding ZFS filesystem:
> 1: Create PBS user
> 2: Create ZFS filesystem for this user (we set the quotum here)
> 3: Create a ZFS filesystem for this datastore, inside the users filesystem
> 4: Create the datastore
>
> As we’re going to implement PBS-as-a-service into our portal, I would like to know if it’s feasable
> to make the API create a filesystem when you create a datastore, or is the general feeling that this
> should not be inside PBS’ scope?
>
> Regards,
>
> —
> Mark Schouten, CTO
> Tuxis B.V.
> mark@tuxis.nl

Hi,

imo is that the wrong point for such things, since the datastore creation
only takes an (arbitrary) path, which has really nothing to do with
the underlying filesystem.

we already have a zpool creation in the api/gui, maybe we could extend that
to also be able to create (and destroy?) zfs fs?

i think we don't want pbs to become a fs/partition manager though ;)

kind regards

* Re: [pbs-devel] Create a ZFS filesystem upon datastore creation
@ 2022-06-27 10:14   ` Mark Schouten
From: Mark Schouten @ 2022-06-27 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dominik Csapak, Proxmox Backup Server development discussion

Hi,

>imo is that the wrong point for such things, since the datastore creation
>only takes an (arbitrary) path, which has really nothing to do with
>the underlying filesystem.
>
>we already have a zpool creation in the api/gui, maybe we could extend that
>to also be able to create (and destroy?) zfs fs?
That would be a big win. What I’m trying to prevent is that we need to
create a second API-tool on PBS-servers to handle the ZFS interaction.

—

@ 2022-06-30 15:13     ` Mark Schouten
From: Mark Schouten @ 2022-06-30 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dominik Csapak, Proxmox Backup Server development discussion

Hi,

>>we already have a zpool creation in the api/gui, maybe we could extend that
>>to also be able to create (and destroy?) zfs fs?
>That would be a big win. What I’m trying to prevent is that we need to create a second API-tool on PBS-servers to handle the ZFS interaction.

I’ve taken a look at the code, but implementing this is way above my
coding skills :)

Should I create a bugreport for this to let it show up on a todo-list
somewhere? (Or that people can say, ‘WONT-FIX’, in which case I’ll have
to think of another fix)

Thanks,

—

@ 2022-07-01  6:46       ` Dominik Csapak
From: Dominik Csapak @ 2022-07-01  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Schouten, Proxmox Backup Server development discussion

On 6/30/22 17:13, Mark Schouten wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>> we already have a zpool creation in the api/gui, maybe we could extend that
>>> to also be able to create (and destroy?) zfs fs?
>> That would be a big win. What I’m trying to prevent is that we need to create a second API-tool on
>> PBS-servers to handle the ZFS interaction.
>
> I’ve taken a look at the code, but implementing this is way above my coding skills :)
>
> Should I create a bugreport for this to let it show up on a todo-list somewhere? (Or that people can
> say, ‘WONT-FIX’, in which case I’ll have to think of another fix)
>
> Thanks,

no problem, just create an enhancement request on our Bugzilla[0] so that we can track it when
someone picks it up

kind regards
Dominik

0: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com