public inbox for pbs-devel@lists.proxmox.com
* [pbs-devel] Does Proxmox Backup Server support immutable backups?
@ 2023-06-23 14:49 Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
From: Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming @ 2023-06-23 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pbs-devel; +Cc: ceo

Subject: Does Proxmox Backup Server support immutable backups?

Good day from Singapore,

Does Proxmox Backup Server support immutable backups? We want to make
our backups fully resistant to ransomware.

Thank you.

Regards,

Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
Targeted Individual in Singapore
Blogs:
https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.com
https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com
GIMP also stands for Government-Induced Medical Problems.

* Re: [pbs-devel] Does Proxmox Backup Server support immutable backups?
@ 2023-06-23 15:09 ` Thomas Lamprecht
From: Thomas Lamprecht @ 2023-06-23 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Proxmox Backup Server development discussion,
	Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
  Cc: ceo

Hello,

Am 23/06/2023 um 16:49 schrieb Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming:
> Subject: Does Proxmox Backup Server support immutable backups?
>
> Good day from Singapore,
>
> Does Proxmox Backup Server support immutable backups? We want to make
> our backups fully resistant to ransomware.
Proxmox Backup Server provides this via its permission system.

If you add a user, or API Token, that only has the Datastore.Backup privilege
(via the DatastoreBackup role) on a datastore, then all sites using such a
credential can add new backups but never delete (prune) them.

https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/user-management.html#privileges

In addition to that you can use LTO tape backup, also in WORM (Write Once Read
Many) mode. This allows you to create secure copies you can physical remove
from the backup server to store in a safe location.

See also the chapter about "Ransomware Protection & Recovery" for more details
about this topic:

https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/storage.html#ransomware-protection

regards,
 Thomas